Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Project Introduction

My semester project is to make artificial intelligence within a game that I have been developing.  The goal is to set up different types of enemies each with a semi-unique play style.  For example have a group of enemies that prefer to fight with melee combat and possible some that prefer ranged combat.  My main goal while making the artificial intelligence is the prevent or at least minimize how these enemies search and path find towards the player.  I do not want the enemies to the player jumping off cliffs or pathing into walls next to staircases.  

Some ways that I feel I could correct these kinds of errors is by having them check for ledges before they begin there attack animations, and having a sort of time limit/damage meter before trying to find a different path to the player.

The ways that I plan on checking the performance of the algorithms is by testing, how well the AI adjusts the paths that it chooses to take toward the player in a variety of locations and some controlled circumstances.

A feature that I would like to try to implement but may not have time or the knowledge is a way to interact with Non-Playable Characters in such a way that they can develop feelings for the player.  For example if the player ignores the NPC's quest or fails to complete the quest in a timely manner, said NPC may spread negative feelings toward the player to other NPC's and vice-versa.  This would allow for each run of the game to be a new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment